Replacing a hot path in your app's JavaScript with WebAssembly

• In my previous articles I talked about how WebAssembly allows you to bring the library ecosystem of C/C++ to the web. One app that makes extensive use of C/C++ libraries is squoosh, our web app that allows you compress images with a variety of codecs that have been compiled from C++ to WebAssembly.

WebAssembly is a low-level virtual machine that runs the bytecode that is stored in .wasm files. This byte code is strongly typed and structured in such a way that it can be compiled and optimized for the host system much quicker than JavaScript can. WebAssembly provides an environment to run code that had sandboxing and embedding in mind from the very start.

In my experience, most performance problems on the web are caused by forced layout and excessive paint but every now and then an app needs to do a computationally expensive task that takes a lot of time. WebAssembly can help here.

Read: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2019/02/hotpath-with-wasm

A community for developers looking to put WebAssembly to use today. Come rock WebAssembly with us!